I don’t know if this is the same of you but I love Fall and I love pumpkin. My favorite baked goodies to enjoy during my favorite season always have pumpkin in them. A few weeks ago during Thanksgiving I decided to make a pumpkin cake. But I didn’t just want any pumpkin cake, I wanted a swirl cake that was moist and pumpkin flavored with cream cheese frosting.
If you have any pumpkin puree cans left over from Thanksgiving or you just want to try out a new loaf cake, try this recipe and tell me what you think!
Go ahead and grab all your ingredients
Mix the wet ingredients together.
Add the pumpkin as well the cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger in.
Mix up the dry ingredients
Combine the wet and dry ingredients
Make the sugar cinnamon mix
In a greased loaf pan – alternate layering the batter and the sugar/cinnamon mix till the loaf pan is filled up.
Bake for close to an hour or until toothpick comes out clean. After the cake is done, cool on rack.
After you frost the cake, cut a slice and enjoy it – you know you want to!
Pumpkin Swirl Loaf Cake
¾ cup oil
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 cups flour
2 cup pumpkin puree/1 can 16 oz puree
1 ¼ cup buttermilk
1 ½ cup sugar (1/2 cup Brown )
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
½ tsp nutmeg spice
Cinnamon Sugar Mix: ½ cup brown sugar, 1 ½ tsp cinnamon, dash of nutmeg,
Frosting: 6 oz. Cream Cheese, 1 Cup confectioners’ sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, 1 tsp vanilla essence.
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. In a separate bowl mix the buttermilk with the egg. Add the oil to the buttermilk mixture, mix well.
3. Next go ahead and add the pumpkin puree to the buttermilk mix. Add the ginger and cinnamon to the pumpkin buttermilk mix.
4. In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients together: the flour, the cup of sugar, the salt and baking powder.
5. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
6. In a small bowl – make the cinnamon sugar mix. Mix the brown sugar, with the 1 ½ tsp of cinnamon and the nutmeg. Blend well.
7. Grease a large loaf pan.
8. Start off by layering the pumpkin batter at the bottom, then sprinkle a layer of the sugar mix, then the batter, the sugar mix till reach the top of the loaf. Save a little of the sugar mix.
9. Take a butter knife and make swirl patterns throughout the loaf.
10. Put the cake in the oven for 60-75 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center of the cake.
11. Take cake out and cool on a rack.
12. Once cool – make the cheese cream frosting: Whip softened cream cheese till smooth. Add the cup of confectioners’ sugar to the cream cheese. Add in the milk and the vanilla essence and blend well.
13. Frost the top of the cake and sprinkle the last of the brown sugar mix on top. Enjoy!
Did you try the recipe? Let me know how it came out! If this isn’t your favorite kind of cake, what is?
Till the next post!